Friday, October 28, 2011

Trent

Remember when I said I love living in Los Angeles because it means we get to see pretty much everyone we've ever known when they come to visit? Dig this. Last weekend I got a text from my first friend. Ever. Trent and I were next door neighbors when we were babies, though next door is a relative term. He was my closest neighbor, but was a good half mile away. I loved playing with Trent. We would ride horses together, gather eggs from his chicken coop, catch snakes in the canal, pretend we were gazelles on his trampoline and whatever else our tiny bodies could think up for fun. This is one reason why I've always enjoyed having males as close friends. They are sometimes better at fun than girls.

Trent's pink brick house always smelled like hot, fresh bread because his angel mother was always baking just that. And serving it with butter and jam. Heaven. I thought Trent's dad was a giant, but that's just because I was so short. He scared me, but that's just because I was so timid. There was a giant moose head in their living room, which really scared and confused me. I checked the other side of the wall a hundred times and every time there was no moose body, but still, I was always nervous that it would charge us while we were playing cars on his living room floor. I was always intrigued by their bathroom because they had one of those squishy, foamy toilet seats. They seem like a good idea until they start to crack. Then they're just painful.

Trent and I wound our way through different "groups" and I moved away from his pink house. We always stayed friends, though, and we even went to a dance together in high school. He picked me up in a U-Haul. We, along with dozens of other couples, rode in the back of the truck to the dance. Talk about arriving in style.

This is us at our pre-dance festivities. We went to another friend's barn and played games. When you grow up in Rexburg you have to either get drunk or get creative to have fun. This group of friends was very creative. 

High school graduation.

ANYWAY, we don't talk all that much anymore, but when we do it's always joyous. I was excited to hear he was going to be in town. I expected that he was going to show up with his boyfriend, Todd. I know, confusing, huh. Both Trent and I love a boy named Todd. Turns out his Todd couldn't get work off, but he came with his good friend, Heather. Heather happens to also be the name of my Todd's ex-wife. Don't think about this name madness too hard, it will give you a headache.

We had yummy Thai food and let our yappers run for a while. Then we snapped these quick shots before we said goodbye.




If you know Trent, I urge you to close your eyes, concentrate for a moment, and with your imagination listen to his laugh. Wasn't that fun?!

2 comments:

barbchuck said...

Rachel, I love hearing about your childhood. How wonderful that you and Trent have kept in touch all these years . . . and what a coincidence that both of your special people are named Todd! Too bad you didn't get to meet his Todd. Maybe in the future.

Debbie Virgin said...

Trent H? I think I know who he is! Cute photos! Love you Rachel!