Monday, December 13, 2010

Band Rocks

When we moved to our new town, we registered the kids at their new schools and Ana, who began middle school, chose her top three electives. Art, Spanish, computers. In that order. She was put in band. When she found out she cried. Ana hardly EVER cries. She was so disappointed to have to take band. AND we were told that it was the only elective left. She had no other options. What's elective about that?

I was also disappointed. For some legit reasons and some ridiculous reasons. For one, I knew that Ana having instrument practice meant I would have my own homework trying to get her to practice. This is her 4th instrument and I know that she's not the kid that is just going to pick it up and play out of sheer desire. Beyond that, I knew that band would require a whole slew of expenses (instrument rental, performance attire, etc) and I (here's the shameful part) had an honest to goodness fear of Ana heading toward that slippery slope to geekery. Well, school started and Ana attended a couple band classes. I was preparing a very good argument to present to the principle about public education being free, so they can't impose an elective on someone that requires potentially hefty expenses (tuba rental, for instance is $80/month). I rarely throw my parental weight around in my children's educations, but in this matter I was prepared to step in the boxing ring.

Well, after about a week in band, she decided she really liked the teacher and thought she might really like to give it a go. I was still VERY resistant and kept telling her that I thought I could get her out of band if she had any hesitations. I really wanted her to get into a different elective. She became insistent that she wanted to try it. My argument went something like this: "I am not going to pay all this money for band expenses and then have to nag you every day to practice your instrument. You are not playing in the band unless you can promise me that you will be diligent and proactive in your practicing. If you aren't then I am beating  you over the head with your instrument and then taking you out of band." She assured me she REALLY wanted to play and would be a good little practicer.

I made her write me an essay stating her determination to practice and then I made her sign it in blood. Just kidding about the blood part. Okay, so we were square there. Then they had instrument selection. Ana initially chose the saxophone. She wanted it soooo bad. Ultimately, though, the band teacher chose who plays which instrument. Ana didn't get the sax and was selected to play the most difficult instrument. The french horn. She was a little let down about this. Someone had told her about a very cool girl that played sax in a jazz band and I think Ana had an illusion of becoming that girl. Plus, she knew that french horn was going to really challenge her and she wasn't interested in that big of a challenge. Oh well. French horn it was.

It wasn't long before Ana became the chou chou of her teacher. Chou chou is pronounced shoe shoe and means cabbage in french. It also, for some reason, means teacher's pet. He raves about her all the time. He can't believe how good she is. And his praise fits the pattern of her previous music teachers. She has played piano, guitar, violin & now a brass. I'd like to think she got her talent from yours truly, but the fact is I can't even read music. I'm a total musical nim wit. Wait, now that I think of it I've never taken an instrument. I've never, ever given it any effort. Perhaps I'm a very talented musician too. You know, I am pretty sure I am. Hmmm. I think I might take up piano. And voice. And guitar. But not a horn. I haven't gotten over my fear of being a band geek. Oh wait, this is about Ana, not me.

Okay, anyway, Ana is rocking the french horn. And it's a pretty cool instrument. Look how pretty it is.



We named Ana's horn. It is obviously female with all those beautiful curves and since she's French, we thought she'd make a perfect Genevieve. 

Ana had her first band concert last week. She did really well, despite the fact that she FORGOT her music. She was able to borrow some for a couple pieces, but had to wing it on a few others. She did great, though. See for  yourself. (Sorry for the low qual camera phone video & pic. I forgot my real camera).





I'm as proud as a peacock. And I think I'm over my band prejudice. At least for my daughter...

1 comment:

MZ said...

OK Ana, I can't wait to see you play your French Horn. Good girl!