Thursday, January 27, 2011
Where's the Beef?
I've been on a quest to improve the quality of the carnivorous things that pass my mouth and enter my digestive system. After watching Food, Inc and reading this NYT article I decided to buy only high quality meats/poultry (high quality meaning organic, free range, blah blah blah) as much as possible. This jacks up the price of food tremendously (but after reading & viewing the links above I understand why and I'm totally in support of it), so that means we're cutting back on meat so our overall food prices don't go up. We are trying to eat non-meat meals at least 3 times a week.
I'm not much of a fast food or burger person, but I do join hands with 95% of the US population in my utter adoration of In-N-Out Burger. Those people can do a burger right. I was especially enamored with them after reading Fast Food Nation, a little expose on the fast food industry, because they are a great employer (rare in the food industry) and they just do things the good old fashion RIGHT way. So in my heightened meat consciousness I've wondered about the beef from In-N-Out. From where is it sourced? Is it the same as McDonalds (which I refuse to let enter this grand body God gave me)? I had a hunch it wasn't and I've tried to find out, but came up short. Well, today I found the information I've been seeking and my suspicions were right. They buy good beef from humane, LOCAL growers (local is important, see above links to learn why). And the answer is: Harris Ranch.
With a name like Harris it has to be good.
P.S. You can watch Food, Inc on the instant queue on Netflix of you have it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I just wanted to say thanks for sharing your thoughts on this - we're doing the same thing. I haven't seen Food Inc because I'm a scaredy cat. All of my friends who have seen it have said they want to go vegetarian and I certainly don't. It's good to hear a sane person (I ASSUME! ha!) say you're still willing to eat meat - albeit organic, local, yada yada.
Hope you're having a good week!
Very good news about In-N-Out. So glad you posted that. Now if only I could get my arse back to LA so I could flounder in their burger goodness, life would be allright.
yikes! Looks like I have some reading to do :/
Post a Comment