Friday, August 16, 2013

SF Art Academy 2013

 I'm sure I won't get much sympathy for this, but after returning from a two week trip, I had to quickly unpack, repack and wake at 5 am to catch another flight. This time to San Francisco to accompany Tod on his annual recruiting trip at the Art Academy up there. And while you shouldn't feel to bad for me, you can have some sympathy for Tod. He was up all night and only got about 45 minutes of sleep before we had to arise.

 I love these trips and always go when I can. It's so inspiring to see the art and artists the Academy is producing.

 This year the Academy procured The Palace of Fine Arts for the show. Yow! So rad! They are trying to secure a long term lease on the facility, but the city might create an elementary school out of it. As much as I'd want it to be a school if I was a parent who's kids might attend it (and if I wasn't a homeschooler), I don't think a school is the best use of it. Have you ever been in a school that didn't smell bad? It's just too cool to stink up with cafeteria food!

Some highlights...

Mucha-ish Ariel


While the content doesn't move me, the method does! I love this.

Especially the details


 
 Upon our arrival in SF, we didn't yet have a place to stay. After the show, we wandered up the road  and found a perfect place to lay our weary heads - The Inn at the Presidio. This was the view from the balcony in our room. It's my favorite view of all views...

And this is the view from our bathroom mirror. :)

 I had booked our flights so that we would have the entire next day to roam around SF, but at the last minute, Tod decided it was important to be at work that day for something important so we changed his flight and he took off. No bother! I am great at entertaining myself and I wandered the Presidio and the bay happily for hours.

 I stopped in at the new Disney Family Museum (about Walt and his life), but didn't actually go in the museum, just glanced around the lobby and gift shop. It looks really cool and I'll definitely check it out on some future trip. 

 Then. Then! Then I caught a bus ride down to the end of the bridge and walked across it to the Sausalito side. My bridge. On my day. May 23. I happened to be alone in my city on my bridge on my day. What a perfect gift from the universe! Seriously! It was ridiculously clear and sunny and beautiful on this particular day. I felt particularly glorious! I would probably be embarrassed to see footage of myself that day - all alone with a bounce in my step and a grin on my face as I traversed the goldenest gate. Serious perfection.

My favorite structure on planet earth. Also my favorite color.

 On the left is a picture of my mom some 30 years ago. On the right, me.  I love the longevity and history and future of this bridge. It's my magic place. I also love that my mom was wearing pants that match the bridge.

After returning to the city side, I hoofed it over to my favorite restaurant - Burma Superstar for some Tea Leaf Salad and Platha. I bought 2 souvenir tee shirts there, then hurried to the Bart Station to catch a train to the airport. It was a perfect day!

No comments: