Friday, August 9, 2013

Vieux Montreal

On Saturday Drew was able to join us and we all took the subway down to the Old Port.



 We had fig jam, ham and brie sandwiches for lunch before checking out the Museum of Archeology. And took pictures of Ana with her sonic screwdriver.


 We saw a really interesting interactive movie about the history of Montreal. I loved it. And as homeschoolers we watched it with interest and vigor! ;) At least I did...  We learned that Quebecois people basically have loyalties to France, not England or Canada. They don't even consider themselves Canadians and they don't celebrate Canadian holidays.

 The next thing we did was go through an exhibit on the history of tea. Photos were not allowed in there, which is unfortunate because it was really cool. I was unaware of how massively important and influential tea has been in world history. Again - we drank it (ugh, bad, unintended pun) up with enthusiasm as a family of unschoolers. 

 The museum had an exhibit on the Beatles and when they were in Montreal. This was posted in the exhibit. I love it.

This Rolls Royce was owned by John Lennon. He had it custom painted and outfitted with a fridge, a phone and a tv. Pretty fancy for the 70s. He sold it for what was at the time the most expensive car sale in history. $2.3 million.

PS I didn't know I was going to a Beatles exhibit when I put on my Yellow Submarine shirt that morning.

Beatles karaoke.

Beatle Mania


Then we walked through Vieux Montreal. It's it lovely? And Frenchie?!


And we ate Poutine for dinner. Poutine is a famous Montreal dish that's basically fries, gravy and cheese curds. We got it with smoked meat. Gluttony.


On our way back to the house, we found this gem in the subway.

Merp is a made up word the Marres use to describe someone who talks about something they pretend to know more about than they actually do. It's actually a really handy word and I'm surprised there isn't a real word for it.

Love!

And upon our return the kids broke out Ticket to Ride. Their fave.

Dinner this night was risotto with mushrooms, asparagus, goat cheese and that special flavor you only get Chez Marre.

No comments: