Wednesday, August 7, 2013

DC to NY

We caught an early morning train in DC and rode it up to New York City. It was really fun to see the cities, geography and various passengers along the way. Many of the passengers were just on the train as their regular commute or as a means of weekend travel. I love observing humanity. I remember sitting next to a dude. We had zero interaction and I tried to act as though I wasn't observing him, but I was so curious to just be a fly on the wall in his home and hear the conversations at his dinner table. Okay, tangent over.


We pulled into Penn Station around 1:30 and lugged our suitcases up the steps (mine was pushing 50 lbs, yo), which steps spit us out at Madison Square Garden. Our hotel was just a block away, so we went and checked in and set out on foot to explore the city. We were all hungry and we ducked into the Hard Rock Cafe. It's been decades since I've eaten at a Hard Rock. Remember how they used to be cool and then they just got this icky sell out, overpriced, underwhelming stigma. Ya, they still have it. But for some reason I enjoyed letting my girls experiencing it at least once. Plus, I have nostalgic mems of being in there in high school, so it was fun for me to return. We rocked hard. I took every opportunity to fill their impressionable little minds with as much music trivia as possible. I love doing that.

Anyway, after $300 Kraft Mac n Cheese (only a slight exaggeration), we found these babies. Paul and George. Swoon. Also love that Ana spotted and knew them. Swoon.



First glimpses of Times Square. What a fun, exciting energy that place has!

And lookie there. My girls are on the Coke sign.

Close(r) up

Then we kept on hoofing it north through the city up to Central Park.

What an incredible, glorious, insanely spectacular place Central Park is!! I want to live there.

I spent so much time day dreaming about how if I ever move to NYC, I'll spend so much time in this park. It's so lovely and charming. Okay, I have probably overdone it on the adjectives describing the park. I'll stop.


Ana was obsessing over finding exact locations of various scenes from a Doctor Who episode called Angels take Manhattan. This rock below was the most important one. Evidently 10 and Rose had an important scene on this very rock. You have no idea how painstaking it was to locate the exact spot (there are hundreds of rocks like this in the park).

We had tickets to go up to the top of the Rockefeller Center, so before we could fully explore the park, we started walking back down town, but not before a little photo sesh at The New York Athletic Club. I have seriously funny memories at this place from a NY trip from my college days. Like way funny.

Empire State Building from The Top of the Rock. Lily's getting sleepy after all that walking.

New York is tiring for sure.
 
There's some wind at the top of that place. 
Note Central Park behind me. Amazing views up there of all of NYC.

Rockefeller Center.

And here's a picture of Ana just because she's looking so cute in the doorway to 30 Rock.

One of my fave NY moments was when I was looking around The Rockefeller Center for a Diego Rivera painting, because I recall seeing a photo of him painting in there. I asked a security guard about it and evidently his work was painted over because Mr. Rockefeller didn't like that Diego was promoting communist leaders in the work, but the guard couldn't resist poking a jab at Diego's wife, Frida Kahlo, and her one eyebrow. We were all cracking up so much. But you may not get the joke if you don't know me and my love for Frida and her brow.

On our way back to the hotel. Times Square at night.

A very fun and exciting day was followed by a very heavy and deep sleep!

No comments: