Thursday, July 11, 2013

Random March stuff

My friend, Karen, teaches art history at the nearby community college. 

-Interjection: Why oh WHY didn't I follow that path? I sooo badly wanted to study art history in college because I LOVED it, but the dumb practical devil sitting on my shoulder told me it was a useless degree, so instead I pursued.....nothing. Until years later I pursued sociology. Which is also useless. Well, at least financially. How it shaped my thinking and how I perceive society and parent my kids as a result of my sociological training is priceless.

I'm so envious of Karen's job.

Karen took me and some other ladies on a field trip to The Getty to see this Vermeer painting.

 

Did you know there are only like 20 something Vermeer paintings known to exist? His work is so lovely and it was fun to see it with Karen because she sheds so much knowledge on all the little details. I have since forgotten most of what she said about this painting, but I recall she said the model likely wasn't pregnant as she kind of appears and there was something special about that color of blue he used. I love it. And I love the frame. 

Someone compared this picture of me to a Vermeer painting. I think he was right.

Another highlight from the outing was this little gem. Why does good sculpture get me so burning stoked?! I just really adore this. And I want to kiss the sculpture who chose to make it.

Winter garden at The Getty. So good.

And in other garden news, I have cute succulents growing in a planter in front of my house. Evidently a spider has tried claiming it as his own.

Tod and I snuck away from the girls one morning to try out a new cafe in town. Tod snapped a thousand pics of me. Here are a few.




This is Ana's rat, Minuit, who sadly is no longer with us. They were such snuggle buddies, though!


No comments: