Thursday, July 11, 2013

We're Movie Stars

Okay, that is said totally tongue in cheek. I mean we are in a movie, but it's.....

A documentary......

About homeschooling.

Nothing glam about it! 

I don't think I've ever blogged about our participation in this project on either of my blogs, so I'll spill a little about it here. 

We started homeschooling in early 2012. We met two wonderful homeschooling families soon after and one of them told me about a documentary that was in the works and that they were looking for a family to follow as they transitioned from public school to homeschool as a way to give their fail about education a human touch. They had already filmed hundreds of hours of interviews with experts and others, but they wanted to use the story of a new homeschooling family to help drive the narrative of the film. 

I filled out a form online and submitted it. Just as I was about to hit submit, I thought I'd include a link to the homeschool blog I had recently started so they could get to know us a little better. Incidentally, I had initially started that blog as a way for my girls to keep track of what they were doing as homeschoolers. They were not interested in doing that, so I just started journaling our experience on the blog. 

I didn't really think through what it would mean if we took part in the film. Soon after, I got an email from one of the directors asking if he could come meet us, as he'd be passing by our home during an upcoming vacation. He came by. We hit it off. As he was leaving, I was preparing to let the following words come out of my mouth: "Hey, I think this is really cool what you guys are doing. I am sure you've had a lot of applications submitted and we won't feel bad if you choose someone else. Just make the right choice to make the best movie possible." But just as it was about to roll off my tongue, instinct swept in and let me know it wasn't necessary and they were definitely going to choose us. 

They did.

There were just over 100 families who applied. The reasons I know of that we were chosen: Location. We're near enough to the directors that they can easily and inexpensively get to us for shooting (they live in Seattle and Oakland). Our story. We didn't leave school because of bullying, bad grades, ADHD, etc. We just didn't like how the system works. That is a more compelling and universal story that more people can relate to. In fact, I think it makes it a more powerful story that A&L were very good students and had no real problems other than the fact that they didn't enjoy school.

When film crews showed up the first day is when I started asking myself what in the sam hell I'd been thinking when I subjected us to this! I suddenly felt like Snooki (a reality tv star). I mean I (RARELY) watch those reality shows and think "who the heck would let those cameras into their home to see their flaws and messes and imperfections!?!?", yet here I was letting cameras into my home to see all of those things and more! Ugh! 

Overall it has been a great experience and we have gotten to know the directors and camera man really well. They are all great. They have come about once every month or two over the course of a year and a half to get updates and watch our story unfold. The girls get sick of it sometimes, but I hope in the end it will be something they are proud of. I'm sooo hoping that they do a great job editing the film and don't make us out to be idiots (I don't think they will) and that I'm not too embarrassed over all the dorky things I've said on film! They will likely wrap up filming in about a month and then continue on the enormous task of sifting through and cutting all the footage together. 

Here are some pictures from one of their visits. 

Dustin shooting the girls at the local library.

Billy behind the camera and Jeremy on the floor as they film a family dinner.

Jeremy serenading us and demoing variations of British accents with my Anglophile daughter, Ana (Jeremy is a Brit).

Billy and Dustin filming at the girl's homeschool archery class.

Interview with our wonderful homeschool friends, the Stones (their mom is who lined us up with the filmmakers).

Here are some currently current links to the film's websites (because, if this is being read in 20 years those links will likely be dead):
http://classdismissedmovie.com/
http://www.homeschoolfilm.com/

No comments: