Saturday, July 20, 2013

The DC on Day Three

Trevor & Jess took us in to see the capital. Turns out there isn't much to see there unless you have a congressional tour arranged beforehand, which, btw I tried to do, but Barbara Boxer denied me. 


Trevor took photos of us. I got mad at him for cutting off our feet and getting those dummies in the background. I'm a bit of a photo snob.

Then he kicked his bad photog skills up a notch, cutting off the building AND our feet.

And using obnoxious angles and capturing me being a massive dork.

Then the girls took a spin on a paddle boat to see the Jefferson Monument while Trevor waited ashore with baby Owen.


Then we ditched T&J to do a bike tour of the monuments. It was really great. We picked up our bikes and rode down to Georgetown, where we caught a boat for an hour long cruise on The Potomac. 



It was on the cruise that Ana and I learned that Lily had some general knowledge about human anatomy and disease that we SO didn't have. She busted out the word "torticollis," which I'd never heard before. I thought she was making it up or confused. She persisted, so I googled it and was shocked to find she was correct. Torticollis is, indeed, a disorder - one that causes problems in the neck. Ana and I laughed really hard over this and still to this day (a couple months later), she won't give up how/where she heard this.

Despite the fact that we had to wear dorky reflective vests and helmets (the girls were horrified by this, I wasn't. Well, maybe a tiny bit), and that we were in a really touristy group of bicyclists, the tour was very fun and informative. We learned a lot.

This is the Vietnam Memorial. On it is inscribe the names of over 57,000 vets who died there. Only 7 were women. I told the girls I would buy them an ice cream if they found a woman. They tried. They failed. Turns out there's a woman's name in this photo (Natalie someone).

Washington Monument from the Lincoln Memorial.  We were required to wear our vests/helmets, but every time we stopped, the girls insisted on removing them before getting off their bikes.
I told the girls I would pay them to run through the pool yelling "Forrest!!" No takers. I was such a briber that day.

Lincoln was super rad.


Our guide told us this interesting trivia: The man who designed Lincoln had a deaf child. Lincoln had been involved in creating a school for deaf children, so in this sculpture, the designer had Abe signing an A and an L with his hands. A & L for Ana and Lily, of course. 

Lincoln Memorial from the outside.

Washington Monument closer and darker. 
It is currently being repaired after an earthquake caused structural damage a couple years ago. Here's what we learned about this monument. There is an elevator in it. Back when it was built only men were allowed to ride in it. They were served wine and cheese on the ride to the top. Women and children had to climb the 897 stairs. WOMEN AND CHILDREN had to climb the stairs!! Thanks for seeing that we're created equal, dummies!!


Jefferson Memorial and teenagers in dorky attire.



And here's a picture of Trevor. It's strange how he and I became so close.
He's 10 years younger than me. He's one of my favorite humans, though. Most of our interaction is via text. It was fun to hang with him in person.

And Trevor being a funny father. This is akin to The Broccoli Dance that Trevor's dad used to make him do. I was horrified by it when I was young. Now I see the humor.

No comments: